Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Carl Wilkens, Adventist Relief Worker

Carl Wilkens was in Rwanda with his family (wife and three children) when the genocide started.  When the foreigners evacuated, Wilkens was the only American who chose to stay behind after evacuating his family.  He is credited with saving the lives of more than 400 persons at 2 orphanages and a church.   Wilkens explains:

"You know, right there in front of me was our house girl who's a Tutsi. Worked for us for several years. I knew as soon as we left she would be slaughtered. There was a young man who was our night watchman. A Tutsi. He'd be slaughtered. And there was no way convoys were letting anyone take Rwandans with them. And at the time my family was evacuating, we lived on a dirt road, and I watched my family drive away down the road. I walked back up to the gate. Closed it and locked it, but as I went back up there and knelt down on the floor with our house-girl and night watchman, and we prayed for the safety of my family, it was a pretty empty feeling."  (Source.)

Wikipedia

PBS:  Interview with Carl Wilkens for "Ghosts of Rwanda"

American Radio Works

Carl Wilkens Official Site

No comments:

Post a Comment